Politics

2020 election ‘most secure in history,’ top US officials say

Washington DC, Nov 12 (efe-epa).- The United States presidential election last week was “the most secure in American history,” according to a coalition of federal and state officials under the Department of Homeland Security.

“The November 3rd election was the most secure in American history. Right now, across the country, election officials are reviewing and double checking the entire election process prior to finalizing the result,” said a top committee made up of officials from the Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency and its election partners in a statement Thursday.

In addition, and in the most direct rebuke of President Donald Trump’s unsubstantiated claims of voter fraud so far, it adds: “There is no evidence that any voting system deleted or lost votes, changed votes, or was in any way compromised.”

“All of the states with close results in the 2020 presidential race have paper records of each vote, allowing the ability to go back and count each ballot if necessary. This is an added benefit for security and resilience. This process allows for the identification and correction of any mistakes or errors,” the officials said.

“While we know there are many unfounded claims and opportunities for misinformation about the process of our elections, we can assure you we have the utmost confidence in the security and integrity of our elections,” they added.

Since Saturday, when Democrat Joe Biden was called winner of the election, Trump has refused to concede and has claimed electoral fraud without offering any evidence, while at the same time embarking on a legal strategy based on a series of complaints that so far have not been successful.

To overturn Biden’s leadership, currently with 290 electoral votes – 20 over the threshold, Trump would have to prove fraud in court and reverse the results in not just one, but multiple key states.

Authorities in Georgia state, where the media has yet to call a winner but where Biden has a slim 14,000-vote lead, announced Wednesday that it will recount by hand the more than 5 million votes cast in the territory to certify the results.

In addition to the legal actions, Trump has also decided to use his power in the federal government to block the transition, 10 weeks before the planned handover takes place on Jan. 20. EFE-EPA

lb/tw

Related Articles

Back to top button