Islamabad, Mar 15 (EFE).- At least four security personnel were killed and eight others were wounded in an attack on a security forces’ convoy in the southwestern province of Balochistan on Tuesday, official sources said.
The attack occurred at 7.04am when an improvised explosive device (IED) exploded as a security convoy of the Frontier Corps was passing through the restive Sangan region in Sibi district, according to district official Muhammed Iqbal.
“Four personnel were martyred and eight were injured,” Iqbal told EFE, adding that the injured were taken to the provincial capital of Quetta for medical treatment.
He added it was difficult to get proper details of the attack due to the remoteness of the area where it occurred.
The attack is yet to be claimed by any group.
The Inter-Services Public Relations, or the media wing of the armed forces, has not released any information on the incident so far.
Adviser to Chief Minister Balochistan on Home Department, Mir Ziaullah Langau, in a statement, condemned the incident and said the injured personnel would be provided the best medical treatment.
“Terrorists are making failed attempts at sabotaging peace in Balochistan through such cowardly acts,” he stressed.
The resource-rich Balochistan province is Pakistan’s largest and most volatile region and has a long history of separatist insurgency.
Separatists claim the central government has unfairly exploited natural resources of the province, and its armed groups demand greater autonomy from Islamabad.
On Mar. 8, a suicide attacker blew himself up near the security forces on deputation for the security of the convoy of the President Arif Alvi, killing at least six soldiers and injuring more than 24, including civilians.
An official told EFE at the time that the blast had taken place barely 20 minutes after the President had participated in the closing ceremony of an annual fair. EFE