Disasters & Accidents

All 44 people buried in southern China landslide declared dead

Beijing, Jan 26 (EFE).- The 44 people who were buried after a landslide earlier this week in the southern Chinese province of Yunnan were declared dead, state news agency Xinhua reported Friday.

The previous report put the number of deaths from the Monday incident at 34 and the number of missing people at 10 as a result of the natural disaster.

The local rescue and emergency authorities announced Thursday night the end of the rescue efforts, the agency said. Some 918 people have been evacuated, the government reported.

Authorities said they would intensify alert and supervision efforts to prevent future disasters.

The event took place at 05:51 local time (21:51 GMT on Sunday) in Zhenxiong county, located in the north of the aforementioned region, and affected about 18 homes located in the low area between two mountains.

According to preliminary research cited by Xinhua, the landslide mass measured approximately 100 meters wide, 60 meters high and reached an average thickness of six meters.

Chinese President Xi Jinping called for efforts in the search and rescue missions for the trapped people, Xinhua said. EFE

aa/lds

Related Articles

Back to top button