Shanghai, China, Aug 6 (EFE).- Chinese state media has reported at least 16 additional deaths in the country’s north and northeast due to the impact of typhoon Doksuri, which has also forced the evacuation of thousands of people.
State news agency Xinhua said that at least 10 people were killed and 18 reported missing in the city of Baoding in the Hebei province by noon on Saturday due to heavy rains and the resulting floods.
Rainstorms and flooding have affected over a million people and led to around 627,000 being evacuated from Baoding alone.
On Sunday, the agency reported another six deaths from the city of Shulan, situated in the northeastern Jilin province, while four people were missing and nearly 20,000 have been displaced by the rains.
According to official data, Baoding recorded daily average rain of 353.1 mm while Shulan witnessed 111.7 mm rainfall. As per local norms, daily rainfall above 60 mm is considered torrential.
Doksuri, which left a trail of destruction last week in its passage from China’s south to the north, had already caused at least 22 deaths by Thursday.
The storm had caused the highest rainfall in Beijing in 140 years.
Apart from the casualties in China, at least two people were killed in Ulan Bator, capital of neighboring Mongolia, after they were electrocuted during the floods that have affected the city.
Chinese media said Saturday that dozens of rivers in the northeastern Liaoning and Heilongjiang provinces were flowing above the danger mark due to rains, with several dams accumulating water above the permitted level and authorities being forced to open their gates.
Chinese weather authorities had warned of extremely heavy rains this week in the country’s northeast due to the typhoon, as widespread flooding is being reported in the region since Thursday.
in 2021 and 2022, summers in central China were marked by heavy rains not seen in decades, which resulted in more than 300 deaths, even as a persistent drought affected the southern parts of the country. EFE