Arsenal stay top of Premier League with comeback win

Sports Desk, Aug 27 (EFE).- Arsenal came from behind Saturday to beat Fulham 2-1 and go 2 points clear of defending Premier League champions Manchester City.

The Gunners, enjoying their best start to the season in 18 years, came into the London derby needing at least a point to keep pace with City and surprising Brighton & Hove Albion, winners earlier in the day along with Manchester United, Chelsea and Liverpool.

Hosting promoted Fulham at the Emirates, Arsenal dominated possession – 72 percent – and put eight shots on target to just three for their opponents.

But Fulham goalkeeper Bernd Leno made six saves against his former club and the home side went behind in the 56th minute on a goal by Aleksandar Mitrovic.

Team captain Martin Odegaard brought the Gunners level in the 64th, assisted by a deflection that left Leno with no options.

Arsenal keeper Aaron Ramsdale did well two minutes later to deny Mitrovic and Leno thwarted Gabriel Martinelli in the 73rd minute to maintain the 1-1 deadlock.

With five minutes left in regulation, the Gunners won a corner. The ball came into the area and Leno went up to grab it, but he fell to the ground empty-handed and Arsenal defender Gabriel Magalhaes scored into the unguarded net.

After a VAR review for a possible hand ball or foul on Leno, the goal was upheld.

Fulham battled on and Ramsdale had to come up big in the 89th minute against Nathaniel Chalobah to ensure that Arsenal would take all 3 points in Mikel Arteta’s 100th match as coach.

Man City also had to overcome a deficit Saturday against Crystal Palace, who led 2-0 at the break despite having only 25 percent possession.

The visitors went up on an own goal by John Stones, who ended up redirecting Eberechi Eze’s free kick into the net, and a Joachim Andersen header off an Eze corner.

Bernardo Silva pulled back a goal for City in the 53rd minute before Erling Haaland took charge, scoring a hat trick to nail down a 4-2 win.

Not far down the road at Anfield, promoted Bournemouth felt the full fury of Liverpool’s frustrations over starting the campaign with two draws and a defeat to archrival Man United, as the Reds pounded the Cherries 9-0.

Luis Diaz and Roberto Firmino each had a brace and Fabio Carvalho scored his first goal since coming to Merseyside from Fulham.

Chelsea, smarting from a 3-0 loss to Leeds United, edged Leicester City 2-1 despite going down to 10 men in the 28th minute after Conor Gallagher picked up a second yellow card.

Raheem Sterling scored both goals for the Blues before Harvey Barnes narrowed the margin in the 66th minute, signaling the start of a Leicester onslaught that didn’t fall short by much.

The day’s action began on the South Coast, where Southampton made Manchester United work hard for a 1-0 triumph on a Bruno Fernandes goal in the 66th minute. EFE id/dr

Related Articles

Back to top button