Sanaa, Aug 29 (EFE).- At least 33 pro-government soldiers were killed Sunday in a missile attack on a military base in southern Yemen, a medical source told Efe.
More than 60 others were injured in the strikes launched against al-Anad airbase, Yemen’s largest, the source told Efe, on condition of anonymity.
So far, there has been no claim of responsibility, but a military source blamed the Houthi rebels for the attack in Lahij province, about 60 kilometers (37 miles) north of Yemen’s temporary capital of Aden.
Al-Anad military airbase was the target of a rebel attack that killed 36 fighters loyal to the separatist so-called Southern Transitional Council (STC) in August 2019.
The war in Yemen broke out after the Iranian-backed Houthis captured large swathes of the country in 2014 and intensified with the Saudi-led coalition’s military intervention in support of the government of Yemeni President Abd-Rabbu Mansour Hadi a year later.
Since then, the country on the Arabian Peninsula has been gripped by a devastating power struggle between the Saudi-backed government and the Houthis.
Yemen is one of the poorest countries in the world and the war has significantly increased the suffering of its people. According to UN figures, some 20 million people are in need of humanitarian aid. EFE