Recife, Brazil, May 29 (EFE).- At least 44 people died and another 56 were missing after heavy rains struck Brazil’s northeastern state of Pernambuco, officials reported on Sunday.
Over 4,000 people living in risk areas have been forced to leave their homes since the torrential rains started last week, regional development minister Daniel Ferreira told reporters in Recife.
Most of the victims died on Saturday due to landslides in the metropolitan region of Recife, the most affected by the storm and where an emergency situation has been declared.
On Friday, 20 people were killed in a landslide that swept away dozens of houses in the Jardim Monte Verde neighborhood.
Although rains stopped on Sunday, Ferreira warned more rainfall is expected in the coming days and that the number of victims could increase.
“The most important thing is to maintain self-protection measures,” he said.
Brazil’s president Jair Bolsonaro is expected to travel to the affected area on Monday. EFE