Conflicts & War

At least 6 injured as gunmen storm Kabul university

Kabul, Nov 2 (efe-epa).- At least six people were injured on Monday as a group of militants attacked the University of Kabul, prompting the deployment of extra security forces and forcing hundreds of students to flee from the campus in the Afghan capital, officials said.

Public health ministry spokesperson Akmal Samsor told EFE the injured students and lecturers had been evacuated to a hospital.

Tariq Arian, an interior ministry spokesperson, said in a statement that “several enemies of Afghanistan” entered the Kabul university campus.

“Special forces have arrived,” he said, adding that police had saved several of the trapped students and efforts were underway to rescue all the people holed up inside the besieged campus.

Police were doing everything to “eliminate the terrorists,” bring the situation under control, and prevent any harm to university students and people inside the campus, according to the statement.

Kabul Police spokesperson Firdaws Faramarz told EFE that they had deployed additional security forces after hearing gunshots on the campus.

“Police have taken positions in area and is monitoring the situation,” Faramarz said.

He said all roads leading to the university had been closed by the security forces.

The spokesperson said that gunshots were heard during the morning rush hour when thousands of students were attending their classes.

Local TV channel Tolo aired footage of students jumping walls as they fled the campus amid loud sounds of gunfire.

No insurgent group immediately claimed responsibility for the attack.

Violence has been on the rise in recent weeks in Afghanistan.

The latest attack in the center of Kabul comes at a sensitive time when representatives of the Taliban and the government have been holding peace talks in the Qatari capital of Doha since early September.

The two sides in the intra-Afghan talks have so far failed to reach an agreement on the rules and regulations necessary for the main phase of the negotiations that could bring an end to nearly two decades of conflict in the country.

The talks are a result of a peace deal signed between the United States and the insurgents in the Qatari capital of Doha on Feb. 29 that laid the groundwork for the phased withdrawal of American troops from Afghanistan in return for guarantees that the Taliban would not use the war-ravaged country for activities against Washington.

One of the first objectives at the start of the dialog set by the Afghan government was the declaration of a permanent ceasefire.

But the Taliban has insisted that its battle against the Afghan government, put in place by the US “invaders,” is part of a holy war that they would not stop.

In recent weeks, the Taliban have carried out several attacks across the country, resulting in dozens of deaths of security forces members and civilians, including women and children. EFE-EPA

bks-ssk/ia

Related Articles

Back to top button