At least 6 Palestinians killed, 16 wounded in Israeli West Bank raid
Jerusalem, Mar 7 (EFE).- At least six Palestinians were killed and 16 others were injured in a military raid carried out by Israeli soldiers in the occupied West Bank on Tuesday, Palestinian officials confirmed.
The Palestinian health ministry said one of the deceased, identified as 26-year-old Mohamed Wael Ghazawi, died of gunshot wounds to the chest in the Jenin refugee camp, while the injured were transferred to a hospital.
Israeli forces stormed the flashpoint town of Jenin in a daytime raid to conduct arrests, local media reported, amid a months-long spike in violence across the region.
The army entered the camp to arrest a suspect involved in an attack that left two Israeli settlers dead in the northern West Bank town of Hawara on February 26, Israeli daily Haaretz said.
Israel’s public broadcaster Kan, meanwhile, reported that during another raid in Nablus, three brothers, sons of the alleged Hawara attacker, were detained.
Videos posted on social networks showed Israeli troops firing a projectile into a building in the camp where wanted Palestinians were hiding.
During the Jenin raid, Palestinian gunmen shot down an Israeli military drone over the area, Palestinian media reported.
These incidents come amid mounting violence between Israelis and Palestinians.
Two weeks ago, a military raid in Nablus left 11 Palestinians killed while 10 others died in late January during an incursion into Jenin camp in the deadliest incidents in the West Bank in two decades.
The deceased were not only militiamen from local armed groups there but also civilians, including minors and elderly people.
At least 71 Palestinians have been killed in connection with military operations, Palestinian-led attacks and clashes with Israeli troops so far this year. On the Israeli side, 14 people, including a minor, have died.EFE