Kabul, Mar 13 (efe-epa).- At least eight people were killed and 54 injured in a car bomb explosion close to a police checkpoint and civilian houses in Afghanistan’s eastern Herat province, authorities said on Saturday.
The heavy explosion took place around 9.20 pm on Friday in police district-14, an area populated by civilians, a military official from the district told EFE on the condition of anonymity.
“In this attack, unfortunately (the) terrorist Taliban have targeted civilians,” the official alleged without providing further details.
Herat Hospital spokesperson Rafiq Shirzai told Efe that they had so far received eight dead bodies and 47 wounded. The deceased consist of one police officer and seven civilians, including three children, two women and as many men.
“These victims have been evacuated to Herat Hospital and are under emergency treatment. (…) Five injured patients are in critical condition and our doctors are trying to save their lives,” Shirzai said.
In a statement, interior ministry spokesperson Tariq Arian confirmed the death toll and increased the number of injured to 54.
According to Arian, at least 14 civilian houses were destroyed or damaged in the bombing, which he attributed to the Taliban.
The insurgent group has not claimed or denied responsibility for the attack so far.
The Afghan President Ashraf Ghani “vigorously condemned this terror attack,” which proves once again that the insurgents lack the will to “resolve the actual crisis in a peaceful way, squandering the current opportunity for peace”, he said in a statement.
Although the Taliban has reduced the number and intensity of car bombings in urban areas after signing the Doha peace agreement with the United States in February 2020, they have continued similar attacks in rural areas and suburbs.