At least two dead in southern France wildfire
(Update 1: upgrades death toll)
Var, France, Aug 18 (EFE).- At least two people have died in a wildfire raging in the French Mediterranean region of Var, local authorities confirmed Wednesday.
Regional leader Evence Richard told a press conference that the remains of one of the bodies was identified as male.
Earlier in the day, local officials said they had discovered the body of a man at his burned down home in the commune of Grimaud.
At least 5,000 hectares of Mediterranean forest in the Côte d’Azur has been razed by the blaze, authorities reported.
Since the blaze broke out on Monday, 24 people have been injured, including five firefighters, most suffering from smoke inhalation.
Some 10,000 people, including many tourists, have been evacuated from the area near the blaze, which broke out near the village of Gonfaron, some 50 kilometers from Saint Tropez.
Local authorities have urged residents who have been evacuated from their homes to not return until the fire is contained.
On Tuesday, French president Emmanuel Macron, who is on holiday with his wife nearby, visited the area. EFE