Lagos, Dec 17 (efe-epa).- Nigerian terror group Boko Haram on Thursday circulated a video purportedly showing some of the 300 students kidnapped last week from a secondary school in the country’s northwest.
The video, which lasts six and a half minutes, was obtained by HumAngle news outlet. The footage shows a group of boys of varying ages gathered in a wooded area. One of the victims said they had been captured by Abubakar Shekau, the self-proclaimed leader of the violent extremist group, and that they were in good health.
In both Hausa, the local language, and English, the boy, apparently prompted by the man filming, urged authorities to withdraw soldiers taking part in the search operation.
He said that some of the schoolboys had been killed and urged the government to come to a peaceful agreement with Boko Haram over their return.
Boko Haram has been an affiliate of the Islamic State terror group since 2015.
Abubakar Shekau speaks at the end of the footage, saying that many thought he was lying earlier this week when he claimed to be behind the kidnap of over 300 students from the Government Science Secondary School in Kankara, Katsina State.
The kidnap took place on Friday and Boko Haram claimed responsibility for it on Tuesday.
It was Boko Haram’s first major operation in northwestern Nigeria. The group is traditionally active in the restive northeast, from where it emerged.
Nigerian officials said they had negotiated with the kidnappers, but the terrorist organization said it had not yet fixed any conditions or demands.
The kidnappers are expected to request ransom money and condition the release of the schoolboys on the government freeing imprisoned Boko Haram members.