São Paulo, Brazil, Jan 5 (EFE).- Brazilian president Jair Bolsonaro was discharged on Wednesday after spending two days in a Sao Paulo hospital with an intestinal blockage, a recurring issue since he was stabbed in 2018.
“Discharged now. Thank you all,” the far-right leader said in a message posted on his social media accounts alongside a photograph in which he appears in bed surrounded by a team of doctors.
The far-right politician was urgently hospitalized on Monday after complaining of abdominal pain.
The 66-year-old has required hospital attention several times since he was stabbed in the abdomen during his 2018 presidential campaign.
He was treated at the Vila Nova Star hospital in Sao Paulo, where he was also admitted during a four-day stay in July last year.
A hospital statement said that his intestinal blockage had passed without the need for surgery but that he would be kept under observation.
Bolsonaro was flown to São Paulo from the southern state of Santa Catarina, where he fell ill while on vacation.
He said on social media late Monday that the problems stem from the stabbing attack in September 2018.
Police arrested the attacker immediately but a Brazilian judge acquitted him due to his mental condition and ordered him to be held in a facility indefinitely.
Bolsonaro’s term is due to conclude on December 31 this year, when he will vie for a second mandate against a revived Brazilian left-wing candidate in the form of Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva. EFE