Health

California makes beachfront campground a quarantine site

Los Angeles, Mar 17 (efe-epa).- Authorities in Los Angeles County took charge Tuesday of one of the area’s few beaches open to camping with recreational vehicles for use as a quarantine site for people who test positive for coronavirus but are not sick enough to require hospitalization.

Five specialists were at Dockweiler Beach RV Park bright and early to clean and disinfect the first of the roughly 100 RVs rented by the county’s emergency management office to accommodate prospective patients.

Additional vehicles arrived as the day wore on and the site is expected to be operational by Thursday.

Part of the appeal of Dockweiler Beach as a quarantine location is its proximity to Los Angeles International Airport. But health care professionals see another advantage, as the park is sufficiently isolated from the surrounding area to allow patients to venture out of the RVs for fresh air without endangering others.

The RVs will likely be used for arriving LAX passengers who test positive for the novel coronavirus, or COVID-19, but will also be available for infected residents of the neighboring town of El Segundo.

“We are just happy that we’re part of the solution and we feel they have a good plan in place. They’ve been working with our fire department and our police department on all of the different safety precautionary measures,” El Segundo Mayor Drew Boyles told Spectrum television.

Los Angeles County said another 50 cases of coronavirus had been confirmed in the jurisdiction, increasing the total to more than 140.

“We continue to see a huge increase in the number of cases,” county public health director Dr. Barbara Ferrer told a news conference Tuesday.

Statewide, upwards of 470 people have tested positive, while 12 Californians have died of the illness.

Health officials, however, acknowledge that the true number of cases is likely much higher, given the lack of widespread systematic testing in California or elsewhere in the United States.

Fewer than 60,000 people have been tested in the US, according to the assistant secretary of Health and Human Services, Adm. Brett P. Giroir.

The US has more than 5,010 confirmed cases of COVID-19 and at least 87 fatalities. EFE

asl/dr

Related Articles

Back to top button