Conflicts & War

Car bomb near police headquarters kills 7 in Afghanistan

Kabul, Oct 18 (efe-epa).- A suicide bomber detonated an explosive-laden car just outside the police headquarters in the capital of western Ghor province of Afghanistan on Sunday, killing at least seven people and injuring scores more, officials said.

Tariq Arian, an interior ministry spokesperson, in a statement, said that the bombing took place around 11 am near the entrance of the police headquarters and directorate of women affairs in Firozkoh, the provincial capital city.

The blast caused damages to several shops and buildings in the area.

Jumagul Yaqoobi, a spokesperson for the provincial health department, told EFE that seven people were dead and 73 wounded in the blast.

He said that the casualty figures could rise.

Police spokesperson Maroof Ramish told EFE that the dead and the wounded included both security forces as well as civilians.

A spokesperson for the provincial governor, Arif Aber, said nearly the entire city was closed after the blast.

Afghanistan has witnessed a spike in violence in recent weeks despite ongoing talks between the government and the Taliban to restore peace in the country.

The suicide bombing comes after the Taliban last weekend launched a major offensive on the provincial capital of Helmand.

That was the first large-scale attack by the Taliban since the group signed a peace agreement with the United States in Doha on Feb.29.

In the agreement, the Taliban promised to reduce the violence and not to attack any urban areas.

The deal laid the groundwork for the intra-Afghan talks between the government and Taliban representatives, currently underway in Doha.

The parties in the intra-Afgan talks have failed to finalize rules and regulations for the main phase of the negotiations.

Presidential spokesperson Sediq Sediqqi earlier this week strongly condemned the Taliban attacks and said such offensive undermined the peace process.

He said it showed that the Taliban “have no commitment to peace” and if it continued, it would shatter hopes for an end to nearly two decades of war in the country.

US-NATO Commander Gen. Scott Miller has also urged the Taliban “to immediately stop their offensive actions and reduce their violence around the country.”

“It is not consistent with the US-Taliban agreement and undermines the ongoing Afghan Peace Talks,” said Miller in a tweet by United States Forces Afghanistan’s spokesperson Col. Sonny Leggett. EFE-EPA

bks/ssk

Related Articles

Back to top button