Kyiv, Jun 4 (EFE).- A two-year-old girl was killed and 22 people were injured in an overnight Russian attack on an apartment building in Ukraine’s eastern city of Dnipro, Ukrainian authorities reported on Sunday.
The child’s body was pulled out from the rubble of the two-story building in the Pidhorodne community, the region’s governor, Serhiy Lysak, wrote on Telegram.
“At night, a girl’s body was removed from the rubble of a house in Pidhorodne community. She just turned two years old. I offer sincere condolences to the relatives,” Lysak said, according to the state-owned Ukrinform news agency.
Ukrainian president Volodymyr Zelenskyy released a video showing the building completely destroyed, with rescue teams searching for casualties.
“Once again, Russia proves it is a terrorist state,” the head of state said in his address Saturday night. “Unfortunately, there are people under the rubble.”
“The Russians will bear responsibility for everything they did to our state and people,” Zelenskyy warned.
The strikes also caused damage to at least 10 houses, a vehicle, and a gas pipeline.
Earlier on Saturday, Zelenskyy said in an exclusive interview with US newspaper the Wall Street Journal that he believes his country is ready to launch a counteroffensive to liberate Russian-occupied territories.
“In my opinion, as of today, we are ready to do it,” he stressed.
However, the Ukrainian president warned that the price for success would be high and asked for more weapons for the offensive against the Russian invasion.
Russia also launched a wave of airstrikes toward Kyiv but air defense systems managed to repel missiles while approaching the capital, the Kyiv military administration said. EFE