Beijing, Feb 13 (EFE).- China Tuesday called on Israel to cease all military operations promptly and take necessary steps to prevent further escalation of the humanitarian crisis in Rafah City of the besieged Gaza Strip.
“China urges Israel to stop its military operation as soon as possible, (and) make every effort to avoid innocent civilian casualties, in order to prevent a more serious humanitarian disaster in the Rafah area,” a foreign ministry spokesperson said in a press statement.
The statement comes amid growing international pressure on Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu to refrain from initiating a large-scale military offensive on Rafah, where over a million people, mostly many conflict-displaced refugees, reside in densely populated conditions.
“China follows closely the developments in the Rafah area, opposes and condemns actions that harm civilians and violate international law,” the spokesperson said.
While China has previously voiced concerns over Israeli actions in Gaza, this marks the first time it has done so in such explicit terms.
In recent months, China has consistently advocated for measures to safeguard civilians and mitigate the humanitarian crisis.
Beijing has reaffirmed its support for the just cause of the Palestinian people and the two-state solution, engaging in diplomatic discussions with representatives of Arab nations to advance peace talks.
“We have always stood firmly behind the Palestinian people’s rightful quest for justice and support a fair resolution to the conflict,” spokesperson Wang Wenbin said earlier, reaffirming China’s opposition to any forced displacement or relocation of Palestinian civilians. EFE