Seoul, Jan 4 (EFE).- A 41-year-old Chinese man has fled after testing positive for Covid-19 upon arrival in South Korea, the police said Wednesday.
The man disappeared on Tuesday night from a quarantine facility he had been sent to in Incheon, located west of Seoul, after testing positive in a PCR test, the Incheon Metropolitan Police said, local news agency Yonhap reported.
The Korea Disease Control and Prevention Agency said that the man has been put on the wanted list for violating the country’s Disease Control and Prevention Act.
He faces a fine of up to 10 million won (about $7,850) or up to a year in prison.
In December, China announced an end to the strict Covid-19 quarantines it had imposed for nearly three years, opening the door for people in the country to travel.
Following the announcement, South Korea on Dec. 30 said that it would impose restrictions on visitors from the neighboring country starting Monday, given the rise in cases there and to prevent the spread of new variants.
These include a negative Covid-19 result prior to departure and a PCR test upon arrival.
Upon testing positive, visitors are required to quarantine for seven days.
Many countries and regions have imposed restrictions on travelers from China in recent days due to an explosion of cases after the end of its strict “zero-Covid” policy.
The tough entry restrictions that have been in force in the Asian country since 2020 are also set to be lifted on Jan. 8. EFE