City, Liverpool go ahead of Chelsea in Premier League title scrap

Sports Desk, Dec 4 (EFE).- Bernardo Silva scored twice Saturday to power Manchester City 3-1 over Watford and place the defending champions top of the Premier League on a day that saw the Cityzens and Liverpool take advantage of a stumble by leaders Chelsea to push the Blues down to third in the table.

Days after City coach Pep Guardiola touted him as the league’s best player, the midfielder posted his sixth and seventh goals of the season, equaling strikers the caliber of Liverpool’s Sadio Mane.

Raheem Sterling opened the scoring in the 4th minute and City were up 2-0 on the break thanks to Silva’s goal at the half hour. The Portugal international completed the brace in the 63rd minute before Cucho Hernandez pulled one back for the hosts in the 74th.

With 78 percent possession, City should have had more goals and Kevin de Bruyne looked sure to make it 4-1 with two minutes left in regulation, but his shot went just over the cross-bar.

City improved to 35 points, 1 better than Liverpool and 2 more than Chelsea. Watford stay in the 17th spot, 3 points above the drop zone.

In Wolverhampton, the Reds needed a stoppage-time goal from super sub Divock Origi to nip Wolves 1-0.

The Liverpool shooters struggled with accuracy and former Wolves player Diogo Jota blew an incredible chance in the 60th minute, firing the ball into the midsection of defender Conor Coady after a mistake by goalkeeper Jose Sa left the net unguarded.

The home side failed to mount much of a threat going forward, putting just one shot on target, and Origi’s late marker with an assist from Mohamed Salah was enough to secure all of the points for Jürgen Klopp’s men.

Wolverhampton are eighth on 21 points.

The day’s action began with a London derby between West Ham United – winless in their last three Premier League matches – and Chelsea.

Thiago Silva headed in a Mason Mount corner to give the Blues the lead in the 28th minute in front of Hammers supporters at London Stadium.

With five minutes left in the first half, a poor back-pass by Jorginho put Chelsea keeper Edouard Mendy in difficulty and he ended up conceding a penalty with a foul on Jarrod Bowen.

Manuel Lanzini converted to bring the hosts level. But Mount scored in the 44th minute to reclaim the advantage for Chelsea.

Bowen, the man of the match, made it 2-2 in the 56th minute and the teams were still deadlocked in the 87th minute when sub Arthur Masuaku got what would prove to be the game-winner for West Ham, beating Mendy after a quick throw-in.

The victory lifted the fourth-place Hammers to 27 points, 4 ahead of Arsenal. EFE


Related Articles

Back to top button