Sports Desk, Dec 28 (efe-epa).- Everton’s Monday evening home fixture against Manchester City has been postponed after tests revealed a growing number of Covid-19 cases at the Manchester club.
Manchester City confirmed the news in a statement, which comes just three days after it announced that defender Kyle Walker, forward Gabriel Jesus and two members of staff had tested positive for Covid-19.
“After the latest round of Covid-19 testing, the club returned a number of positive cases, in addition to the four already reported on Christmas Day,” Manchester City said in a statement.
“With the security of the bubble compromised, there posed a risk that the virus could spread further amongst the squad, the staff and potentially beyond.
“Based on strong medical advice the Premier League, in consultation with both clubs, have decided to postpone the fixture.”
All affected players and staff members will observe a period of self-isolation, as per protocol, and the club’s training ground will shut for “an indeterminate period” while the squad undergoes further testing.
In a separate statement, Everton said: “Following a Premier League Board Meeting this afternoon, Everton Football Club has been informed that tonight’s fixture against Manchester City has been postponed on medical grounds due to an increase in confirmed cases of COVID-19 in the Manchester City squad.”
Manchester City was due to travel to Goodison Park for an 8 pm GMT kick-off to cap off the opening day of the Premier League match week 16.
Manchester City’s last game, on 26 December, was against Newcastle United. The team had been due to play Chelsea on 3 January and Manchester United in the League Cup on 6 January.
Two other City players, Aymeric Laporte and Riyad Mahrez, tested positive for Covid-19 in September.
Earlier in December, a game between Newcastle United and Aston Villa was called off after Newcastle reported Covid-19 cases at the club. EFE-EPA