Sports Desk, Jun 29 (EFE).- Frank de Boer will step down as Dutch national soccer team coach, the Royal Dutch Football Association announced Tuesday.
The decision comes after the Netherlands were dumped out of Euro 2020 following a shock 2-0 round-of-16 defeat to the Czech Republic.
“I have decided not to continue as national coach,” De Boer said in a statement issued by the Dutch Federation. “The objective has not been achieved, that is clear”.
The decision is “in line with the contract between both parties, which required a place in the quarter-finals. This contract will not be renewed,” the federation said.
De Boer said it had been an “honor and a challenge” to lead the national team, but one that he acknowledged brought a significant amount of pressure from the moment he was appointed.
“The pressure is only increasing now, and that is not a healthy situation for me, nor for the squad in the run-up to such an important match for Dutch football en route to World Cup qualification,” the 51-year-old added.
Since taking over from Ronald Koeman in September 2020, De Boer has steered the team in 15 matches with a balance of eight victories, four draws and three defeats.
The team did not live up to expectations at the Euro 2020, as they saw their run cut short at the round of 16 by the Czechs, having reached the knockout stages as Group C winners with maximum points. EFE