Beijing, July 29 (EFE).- The death toll due to floods caused by torrential rains has risen to 99 in the central Chinese province of Henan, authorities said Thursday.
The state media CGTN said the authorities recorded the death until noon Thursday, days after shocking videos appeared on social networks about the impact of the floods in the provincial capital city, Zhengzhou.
The July 24 tally estimated 51 fatalities in Zhengzhou.
Rescue operations in the city were still underway in a road tunnel flooded by downpours with many vehicles trapped.
The heavy rains breached river beds and overflowed the evacuation and absorption capacity inundating the streets that looked like streams.
Floods washed away several vehicles. In some localities, water levels reached up to the first floor of buildings.
Over 7.5 million people have been affected by the floods, including 920,000 people evacuated to safer places.
Some 576,000 hectares of crop fields have been damaged, while over 3,800 buildings have collapsed across the province.
In Zhengzhou, the telecommunication network has been restored, while emergency services continue to search for survivors and repair the damaged infrastructure.
Zhengzhou continues its slow return to normality after shocking scenes last week.
The Chinese authorities warned Thursday that some parts of the country would continue to be affected by extreme weather events throughout August. EFE