Paris, Jun 15 (EFE).- Former French president Nicolas Sarkozy on Tuesday denied allegations he illegally financed his failed 2012 re-election bid and said he was unaware of fraudulent activity at the time.
The cost of Sarkozy’s 2012 campaign was found to be around 43 million euros, almost double the amount permitted.
“It’s down to the campaign director to organize the campaign, and for me to do it. I’m known for delegating a lot. I can’t take charge of everything,” a visibly agitated Sarkozy told the Paris court.
The trial into the alleged fraudulent campaign funding opened on 20 May and is set to conclude on 22 June. Until Tuesday, Sarkozy had been represented by his lawyer.
The 66-year-old served as France’s president between 2007-2012, when he lost the election to Socialist candidate Francois Hollande.
In March, Sarkozy became the first former French president to be sent to prison after he was given a three-year sentence — two years suspended — in a separate corruption case. EFE