Ghana player Christian Atsu pulled alive from rubble after Turkey quake
Ankara, Feb 7 (EFE).- Hatayspor and Ghana midfielder Christian Atsu has been pulled alive from the wreckage of a building that collapsed following the powerful earthquake that killed thousands of people in southeast Turkey and parts of northern Syria on Monday.
Hatayspor’s sporting director Taner Savut remains missing in the rubble of a collapsed building, a spokesperson for the club based in Antakya, which suffered severe damage from Monday’s two huge tremors, one of magnitude-7.7 and a later one of M7.6, as well as numerous aftershocks, told Radio Gol.
On Tuesday morning, Ghana’s football association said it had been informed that former Chelsea, Newcastle and Malaga player Atsu, 31, had been “successfully rescued from the rubble of the collapsed building and is receiving treatment.”
“Let’s continue to pray for Christian,” it added in a social media post.
Antakya is located in Hatay province, Turkey’s southernmost region.
Over 5,000 people in Turkey and northern Syria have been confirmed dead since the powerful quakes hit the region on Monday, according to figures from the Turkish government, the Syrian government and organizations in opposition-held Syrian territory.
A further 20,500 were injured by the natural disaster while search and rescue efforts are ongoing as many are feared trapped under the rubble. EFE