New Delhi, Jul 6 (efe-epa).- India on Monday said that it had begun military disengagement in Galwan valley, where a serious border clash with China occurred on Jun. 15 which killed at 20 at least Indian soldiers, marking the worst military confrontation between the two countries in the last 45 years.
“Disengagement with PLA has started as per agreed terms in the Corps Commander’s meeting,” which took place between the senior army officials of the two countries last week, Indian military sources told EFE.
The Chinese army removed tents and other structures in the area where the clash took place, according to the source who wished to remain anonymous.
“PLA seen removing tents and structures at PP14. Rearward movement of vehicles of PLA seen at General area Galwan, Hotsprings and Gogra,” the source added.
The start of the troop withdrawal process occurred the same day India revealed that special representatives from both countries had held a telephone conversation on Sunday, in which they agreed on the need to reduce tension.
India’s National Security Advisor Ajit Doval and China’s Foreign Minister Wang Yi “agreed that it was necessary to ensure at the earliest complete disengagement of the troops along the LAC,” Indian foreign ministry said in a statement.
The de-escalation process would extend to all areas along the India-China border, said the statement, adding that the two sides have agreed to continue diplomatic and military talks to reduce tensions.
Both nations have blamed one other for the clash in Galwan Valley, where no firearms were used. According to the Indian authorities, there were also casualties on the Chinese side, something that is yet to be confirmed by Beijing.
The two nuclear armed states have territorial disputes over several Himalayan regions, with Beijing claiming the Arunachal Pradesh region that is controlled by New Delhi. India too claims Aksai Chin, administered by China.
Following the recent clash, India has accused its neighbor of sending large number of troops and erecting structures in the area, while China has accused Indian troops of provoking their soldiers.
Apart from military and diplomatic talks, India has announced blocking 59 mostly Chinese mobile applications, including TikTok, on the grounds that they were detrimental to the country’s security. EFE-EPA