Politics

Indian court dismisses Twitter’s appeal against government’s blocking orders

New Delhi, June 30 (EFE).- The High Court of Karnataka state in southern India on Friday dismissed Twitter’s appeal against the government’s order to block tweets and accounts and ordered the company to pay 5 million Indian rupees ($61,000).

“Karnataka High Court has dismissed the petition filed by Twitter, challenging the blocking orders” issued by the Indian government, the country’s Minister of Electronics and Technology, Rajeev Chandrasekhar, said on Twitter.

“Court imposed cost of Rs. 50 lakh on the microblogging platform,” he added.

“All platforms hv to be in compliance with Indian law and Twitter, under Jack (Dorsey, co-founder and CEO of the social network until 2021) repeatedly refused to do so,” Chandrasekar said.

In June last year, India’s Ministry of Electronics and Technology ordered Twitter to execute several blocking orders, which the company called “overboard and arbitrary.”

The online platform and the Indian authorities have experienced several episodes of tension in recent years over India’s restrictive content blocking policies.

In 2021, a new law came into force in India under the name of the Intermediary Guidelines, which requires the swift removal of any illegal content and help investigate its origin.

One of points of concern for Twitter is that the failure to comply with the rules puts the US company in danger of losing its legal protection under its intermediary status, and being held responsible for the content that users publish on its platform.

The Indian government has been accused by international organizations such as Amnesty International of restricting freedom of expression in the country. EFE

daa/pd

Related Articles

Back to top button