Crime & Justice

Interpol activates international arrest warrant for Red Bull heir

Bangkok, Oct 7 (efe-epa).- Interpol has reactivated the “red alert” of arrest against one of Red Bull’s heirs, Thai national Vorayuth Yoovidhya, for the deadly hit and run in Bangkok of a policeman in 2012, the country’s said Wednesday.

Thai authorities “will collaborate with Thai embassies, police attachés and police forces around the world to locate (the fugitive) before officially requesting his extradition,” said Jaruwat Wisaya, assistant commissioner of the National Police, at a press conference in Bangkok.

Thai Prime Minister Prayut Chan-Ocha requested in late September that the 35-year-old Vorayuth, currently unaccounted for, be extradited to the country for a local court to try on the charge of reckless driving that caused the death of a person by consumption of illicit substances.

At the end of August, a Thai court issued a new order against the wealthy heir following enormous outrage after it emerged the Prosecutor’s Office had closed the case in June at the request of the Police.

Social discontent pressured authorities to resume the investigation and request the reactivation of the order at Interpol, which had been deactivated after the decision of the Prosecutor’s Office.

Vorayuth is one of the grandsons of the late Chaleo Yoovidhya, founder of Krating Daeng (Red Bull) in Thailand, who partnered with Austrian businessman Dietrich Mateschitz to launch the brand internationally in 1987.

On Sep. 3, 2012, the heir was driving a black Ferrari through the streets of Bangkok at about 5am when he collided with the motorcycle of Wichean Klinprasert, a 47-year-old policeman, who was dragged about 100 meters before hitting the road.

According to the expert report, the car was traveling at about 177 kph in a central area of ??the Thai capital.

Wichean was killed instantly and an oil trail led the police to the luxurious Yoovidhya residence, who at first said the car had been driven by Vorayuth’s attendant and driver.

The heir eventually acknowledged he was driving and tested positive for both cocaine use and a breathalyzer test.

Authorities promised to bring him to justice, but he missed eight summonses, eventually receiving an arrest warrant in April 2017, even though the billionaire was out of Thailand enjoying a luxurious lifestyle.

The withdrawal of charges against the heir of the rich family in June generated a wave of indignation in the country and the government decided to launch an investigative commission that led to the reopening of the case and esignation of the prosecutor. EFE-EPA


Related Articles

Back to top button