Tehran, Oct 31 (EFE).- Iran said Monday it will hold trials for some 1,000 people over their participation in mass protests gripping the country since the death of Mahsa Amini in police custody shortly after her arrest for allegedly violating the Islamic dress code over six weeks ago.
The trials are to take place publicly at Islamic Revolutionary courts in Tehran this week, according to the capital’s judiciary body.
“These are people who have carried out acts of sabotage in recent events,” it said.
“They are facing serious charges, including assaulting or murdering security guards, and setting fire to public and private property.”
Iran’s judiciary chief, Gholam Hossein Mohseni, said the trials would be held with “accuracy” and “speed,” especially for those who have attempted to “subvert” the Islamic regime.
“Those who intend to confront and subvert the regime are dependent on foreigners and will be punished according to legal standards,” he said, referring to charges that could lead to the death penalty.
Six men accused of crimes punishable by death stood trial on Saturday, the beginning of the workweek in Tehran, according to the judiciary’s news agency Mizan.
So far, at least 1,019 people have been indicted in eight of the country’s 31 provinces for taking part in the protests that broke out on September 16.
The nationwide demonstrations are mainly led by young people and women shouting “woman, life, freedom” and have included rarely seen gestures of defiance such as burning veils, one of the symbols of the Islamic Republic of Iran.
The demonstrations are being met with a brutal crackdown by security forces.
According to the Oslo-based NGO Iran Human Rights, over 250 people have been killed in the unrest so far.EFE