Baghdad, Sep 30 (efe-epa).- The Iraqi government on Wednesday called on the United States to reconsider its decision to close the embassy in Baghdad amid an increase in attacks on diplomatic missions.
“The government is not happy with the decision by the US administration to withdraw from Baghdad,” Iraqi foreign minister Fuad Hussein said during a press conference.
The move would represent a “danger” to Iraq and the region and would send “wrong signal” to the extremists and the Iraqi people, he added.
Iraq will hold talks with the US administration to handle the situation, Hussein said.
Prime Minister Mostafa al-Kazemi met with the ambassadors of 25 countries earlier in the day.
During the meeting, the diplomats showed their “support for the government and the Iraqi people,” Hussein said.
Al-Kazemi stressed Iraq’s commitment to international law and the protection of diplomatic missions, the minister added.
Over the past few months, Iraq has experienced a spike in attacks on diplomatic missions in Baghdad’s fortified Green Zone, the capital’s airport and the international coalition’s military bases and convoys.
But this is the first time the ambassadors of 25 countries in Iraq, including the US, United Kingdom and Spain, spoke together to denounce these threats.
“We expressed our deepest concern at the rise in the numbers and sophistication of attacks against diplomatic premises in Iraq including rocket and IED attacks,” they told al-Kazemi in a statement.