Conflicts & War

Israel kills Hamas commander who led Oct. 7 attack as fighting rages in Gaza

(Updates casualties in Gaza, edits headline)

Jerusalem, Jan 1 (EFE).- Israel has killed a commander of Hamas’ Nukhba force, the Israeli army said Monday, as it continued its bombardment of the Gaza Strip.

The Nukhba was the unit that planned and led the surprise attack on Israel on Oct. 7, which killed around 1,200 people and sparked the ongoing conflict.

According to a military spokesman, a fighter jet attacked and “eliminated” Adil Mismah, commander of the Nukhba corps in Deir Balah, a town that has been heavily hit by Israeli bombardment in recent days.

Mismah led the terrorists who carried out the attack on Kibbutz Kissufim, one of the Israeli communities near Gaza which Hamas militants targeted on Oct. 7, the army said.

Israeli forces were also still engaged in fighting in the Shijaiyah neighborhood of Gaza City and in Khan Younis, in the south of the enclave.

A spokesman for the Hamas-run Gazan health ministry said at least 156 Palestinians had been killed in the past 24 hours. Some 246 others were wounded, Ashraf al Qudra said.

Since Oct. 8, more than 21,970 people in Gaza have been killed, while another 7,000 are believed to be under the rubble of the enclave’s destroyed buildings. EFE

jma/ks

Related Articles

Back to top button