Jerusalem, Aug 8 (EFE).- Israel will not tolerate rocket fire launched against its territory from Lebanon, prime minister Naftali Bennett said on Sunday, after the Lebanon-based, Iran-backed Shiite group Hezbollah fired a barrage of rockets onto Israeli territory.
“The State of Lebanon and the Lebanese Army must take responsibility for what is happening in their backyard,” Bennett said at the start of the weekly Cabinet meeting.
“There has been a very important awakening by many citizens in the country against Hezbollah and the Iranian involvement there. Even during the severe economic and political crisis in Lebanon, Iran and Hezbollah are entangling the citizens of Lebanon in a front against Israel,” he added.
Bennett’s comments come after Hezbollah launched several rockets from southern Lebanon last week, prompting Israel to retaliate with artillery fire.
Hezbollah claimed responsibility for the attacks on Friday, saying it fired “dozens” of missiles from Lebanon into the Golan Heights in Israel.
Israel and Lebanon are still technically at war, although a ceasefire has been in force since 2006 between the two countries that do not maintain diplomatic relations with each other.
Low-intensity skirmishes have raised tensions sporadically along the border in the past few years, with no serious escalation of violence so far.
Tensions increased Friday with Lebanon struggling with worsening financial and political crises, which Israel fears could encourage Hezbollah and other armed groups to spark a new conflict.
The Lebanese government announced Thursday that it will issue a complaint at the United Nations over the Israeli missiles. EFE