Israeli military partially demolishes home of alleged Palestinian attacker
Jerusalem, Feb 11 (efe-epa).- Israeli forces have partially demolished the family home of a Palestinian man accused of killing an Israeli woman in the West Bank last year, according to an army statement Thursday.
The statement said that two floors of the residence of Mohamed Kabaha in a West Bank town were torn down on Wednesday after the Israeli justice system this month denied a petition filed by the family of the accused.
During the operation, violent clashes broke out between a group of Palestinians and Israeli soldiers, who responded with riot control, a military spokesperson said.
Mohamed Kabaha is accused of killing Esther Horgen in December as she hiked in a forest near the Tal Menashe settlement, in the northern part of the West Bank.
Rights groups condemn Israel’s policy of demolishing the homes of the families of attackers as a collective punishment that is illegal under international law, but Israel’s supreme court has rejected petitions against the policy.
Israel seized control of the West Bank and East Jerusalem during the 1967 Six-Day War. Palestinians claim the territories for their own state, with East Jerusalem as its capital.EFE-EPA