Jerusalem, Dec 1 (EFE).- Israeli troops shot dead two Palestinians during an operation in the occupied West Bank early Thursday, raising the number of Palestinians killed in the last week to 10.
Naeem Zubaidi, 27, and Mohammad Saadi, 26, were killed in the northern city of Jenin, according to the Palestinian health ministry.
A Palestinian was also injured and at least four others were detained in the clashes that broke out when Israeli soldiers carried out a raid in the city and the Jenin refugee camp, the Palestinian Wafa news agency reported.
So far, the Israeli army has not confirmed the operation.
Local sources and eyewitnesses told Efe that Israeli forces with armored vehicles targeted a house with anti-tank missiles and that Saadi was a member of the Palestinian Islamic Jihad, while Zubaidi was an al-Aqsa Martyrs’ Brigades operative.
On Wednesday, a Palestinian man was shot and killed by Israelis in the city of Yabad, a day after five Palestinians were killed in four separate incidents in the West Bank.
A 22-year-old man and a 16-year-old boy were also killed during clashes with Israeli troops in the city of Nablus.
“The occupiers will pay a heavy price for these crimes,” Islamic Jihad spokesman Tariq Izz ad-Din warned Thursday.
This year has been the deadliest for Palestinians in the West Bank since 2006.
There have been intense Israeli raids and armed clashes with Palestinians, especially since late March when Israel launched a military operation it calls “Breaking the Wave” in response to a wave of attacks by Palestinians on Israeli soil.
Since then, violence has been on the rise, leaving at least 158 Palestinians dead, according to the Palestinian health ministry.
The victims have mostly been militants, but also include children and civilians such as Al Jazeera correspondent Shireen Abu Akleh.
A total of 29 Israelis have also died, including 21 civilians, the Israeli Defense Forces has said. EFE