Crime & Justice

Japan PM attack suspect sent to prosecutors

Tokyo, Apr 17 (EFE).- Japan’s police sent the man arrested for allegedly throwing an explosive at Prime Minister Fumio Kishida during an electoral rally to prosecutors on Monday, public broadcaster NHK reported.

The suspect, Ryuji Kimura, 24, has remained silent since he was arrested at the scene of the incident, which occurred on Saturday when Kishida was preparing to deliver a stump speech in support of his ruling Liberal Democratic party’s candidate in a local election at Saikazaki port in Wakayama prefecture.

Footage showed the leader with his back to the crowd when a cylindrical object, believed to have been a pipe bomb, was hurled through the air in his direction and exploded shortly thereafter.

The Japanese president was quickly evacuated unharmed, but one police officer sustained minor injuries.

Kimura was arrested on the spot.

The Japanese authorities searched Kimura’s home on Sunday in the city of Kawanishi, Hyogo prefecture, where they found a substance believed to be gunpowder and metal pipes, which led them to believe that the device was homemade.

Investigators are analyzing Kimura’s personal computer and mobile phone to determine how he obtained the materials and manufactured the device, as the suspect has refused to talk until his lawyer is present.

At the time of his arrest, Kimura was carrying what is believed to be a second pipe bomb, which was seized from him.

The debris of the other bomb were found near a warehouse about 40 meters (131 feet) from the scene of the incident, according to NHK.

Police are still investigating the other device to assess the strength of the explosion.

The incident on Saturday took place after former prime minister Shinzo Abe died last July after being shot with a homemade firearm while delivering a stump speech in the city of Nara.

Top government spokesperson Hirokazu Matsuno reiterated Monday that elections were the foundation of democracy that and such violent acts would not be tolerated.

He said that the National Police Agency had been ordered to further strengthen security. EFE


Related Articles

Back to top button