Kabul, Mar 27 (efe-epa).- After more than six months of negotiations, the Afghan government on Saturday said the Taliban delegation in Qatar lacked authority and “is powerless” to take decisions that would push the stalled peace talks toward progress.
Afghan National Security Advisor, Hamdullah Mohib, told a press conference: “The team they (Taliban) sent (to Qatar) was not given authority; they don’t want to discuss major issues, they do not have the decision-making authority.”
The talks between the Afghan government and the Taliban in Doha have been largely fruitless over the last six months.
“Now is the opportunity for peace, let’s get together for making a real peace, don’t waste time like it’s being wasted in Qatar so far,” Mohib added.
The lack of pace in the intra-Afghan talks has also prompted the international community to step in to accelerate proceedings.
As part of these efforts, US Secretary of State Antony Blinken offered Afghan President Ashraf Ghani earlier this month a four-point proposal aimed at speeding up talks toward a “negotiated settlement and ceasefire.”
Among others efforts, the US has asked Turkey to host a senior-level meeting to involve both the government and Taliban representatives in the coming weeks to “finalize a peace agreement.”
“We should have preparations for negotiations,” Mohib said, urging the Taliban to send a decision-making team to Turkey.
Besides a political settlement, the Turkey conference will also focus on a nationwide ceasefire or reduction in violence in Afghanistan amid the ongoing conflict and Taliban attacks throughout the country.
“The Taliban used the one year long opportunity of peace for war,” Mohib said.EFE-EPA