Koeman to stay on as Barça coach, Laporta confirms
Barcelona, Jun 3 (EFE).- Ronald Koeman will continue as the head coach of Barcelona, the club’s board of directors said Thursday after a meeting at the Camp Nou.
The Dutch manager will therefore see out the second year of his contract despite widespread rumors in the Spanish press that he would be replaced by another coach after president Joan Laporta said recently that the club would “reflect” on Koeman staying in the Blaugrana dugout.
“We have reflected and decided to give Koeman continuity because we are satisfied with how this period of reflection has gone. We have gotten to know each other better. Ronald has behaved impeccably and solutions have been sought to minor differences. That he continues is the best thing for Barça,” Laporta said.
The president, who returned to the club in March for his second spell in charge following his hugely successful first stint between 2003 and 2010, said that Koeman “understood why I had this need to meet him” and “asked for forgiveness” if the Dutch coach had been made to feel uncomfortable by the uncertainty.
“Now we know where we are. We will make a very competitive team,” Laporta added.
“Koeman’s stature emerges reinforced. We have deepened our relationship, we see a motivated coach with a year of experience in the locker room. I see the glass as full,” he insisted.
Laporta added that extending Koeman’s contract for another season “had not been discussed.” EFE