Leicester go 2nd in Premier League with draw against Man United

Sports Desk, Dec 26 (efe-epa).- A late own goal saw Leicester City bag a point against Manchester United in Saturday’s Premier League Boxing Day opener.

It looked like the goal would be credited to Foxes top scorer Jamie Vardy, but a subsequent review by league officials concluded that it was an own goal from United defender Axel Tuanzebe.

United’s Marcus Rashford opened the scoring after a clever through ball from Bruno Fernandes in the 23rd minute only for Harvey Barnes to respond less than 10 minutes later with a shot from outside the penalty area.

Fernandes put Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s team ahead again in the 79th minute, yet the advantage endured for a mere six minutes before Tuanzebe’s misfortune.

The outcome lifted hosts Leicester to second in the Premier League on 28 points, 2 behind leaders Liverpool. Manchester United are third with 27 points.

“Disappointed we didn’t win today because we had loads of big chances and we could’ve finished it off, but they’re a dangerous side,” Solskjaer said after the match. “One point is not the worst result but we’re disappointed to not get the three points against a tough side.”

In Birmingham, Aston Villa trounced visiting Crystal Palace 3-0 despite playing more than half the match with 10 men.

Villa went a goal up in the 5th minute on a strike from Bertrand Traore and Tyrone Mings’ sending off in the 44th minute after pushing Wilfred Zaha to pick up a second yellow card did nothing to change the fortunes of the home side, who conceded 61 percent possession to Palace without relinquishing the initiative.

Kortney Hause made it 2-0 for Aston Villa in minute 66 and Anwar El Ghazi extended the score line to 3-0 with a rocket of a shot in the 76th minute.

Roy Hodgson’s side capped off a terrible week of football that began last Saturday with a 7-0 defeat to defending champions Liverpool.

Palace are 13th in the table on 18 points.

Villa vaulted to sixth place with 25 points Fulham and Southampton finished 0-0 at London’s Craven Cottage in a contest where the visitors from the South Coast had a pair of goals disallowed.

Southampton had the better chances and appeared to break through in the 75th minute when Shane Long put the ball behind Fulham goalkeeper Alphonse Areola, but the striker was ruled to have been offside.

The same scenario unfolded 10 minutes later, when Theo Walcott’s apparent goal was taken down.

The Saints, with 25 points, slipped to eighth. Fulham, winless in their last five matches, are 18th with 11 points, 1 from safety.


Related Articles

Back to top button