London, Dec 1 (efe-epa).- Lewis Hamilton will miss the Sakhir Grand Prix in Bahrain after testing positive for Covid-19, Mercedes said in a statement Tuesday.
Hamilton won the Bahrain Grand Prix on Sunday having already secured the championship, his seventh.
“Lewis was tested three times last week and returned a negative result each time, the last of which was on Sunday afternoon at the Bahrain International Circuit as part of the standard race weekend testing programme,” Mercedes said.
“However, he woke up on Monday morning with mild symptoms and was informed at the same time that a contact prior to arrival in Bahrain had subsequently tested positive. Lewis therefore took a further test and returned a positive result.
“Lewis is now isolating in accordance with Covid-19 protocol and public health authority guidelines,” the statement added.
“Apart from mild symptoms, he is otherwise fit and well.”
Hamilton has won 11 of 15 Grand Prix so far this season, which was truncated by Covid.
There are only two races left to go, the Sakhir Grand Prix and the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix.
The Bahrain International Circuit hosted the Bahrain Grand Prix on Sunday, a race that was overshadowed by the fiery crash involving Romain Grosjean’s Haas when it struck the barrier three turns into Lap 1.
He made a miraculous escape thanks to the medical team and the survivor cell of his car.