Man City dominate Real Madrid to reach Champions League final

Sports Desk, May 17 (EFE).- Manchester City thumped holders Real Madrid 4-0 Wednesday in the second leg of their Champions League semifinal to win 5-1 on aggregate and advance to the final for the second time in three years.

Bernardo Silva had a brace, Manuel Akanji was given credit for what looked more like an own goal by Eder Militao, and World Cup winner Julian Alvarez scored in stoppage time to complete the rout,

City fell 1-0 to Chelsea in the 2020-2021 final and will be looking for their first title in Europe’s elite club competition when they face Inter Milan in Istanbul on June 10.

The Blancos’ bid to lift the trophy for a record-extending 15th time came to a disappointing end against a squad coached by Pep Guardiola, who fought many battles against Real Madrid during his tenure behind the bench at Barcelona.

The teams drew 1-1 in the first leg at the Santiago Bernabeu in Madrid and expectations were high ahead of part two at Manchester’s Etihad Stadium.

Looming over the tie were memories of last year’s semifinal between the same two sides. City were leading 5-3 on aggregate in the final minute of regulation of the second leg at the Bernabeu, only to concede three goals in five minutes to lose 6-5.

But City did not play with fear Wednesday and they would have scored even more goals if not for some outstanding saves by Thibaut Courtois.

Courtois and Eduardo Camavinga combined in the 13th minute to stop Erling Haaland, who saw himself thwarted again by the goalkeeper in the 20th minute.

But Silva beat the Belgian international in the 23rd minute with an assist from Kevin de Bruyne.

Nine minutes later at the other end, Ederson snuffed out Real Madrid’s first offensive foray, beating Karim Benzema to the ball on the edge of the area.

Toni Kroos forced a stop from Ederson on a Blancos corner in the 34th minute.

A giveaway by Real Madrid allowed City to extend their lead in the 37th minute, when Silva knocked in the rebound after Courtois blocked a strike from Ilkay Gündogan.

Half-time disrupted City’s rhythm, and the visitors secured a free kick in the 51st minute after Vinicius Jr. forced Ruben Dias into a foul.

David Alaba’s strike was excellent, but Ederson proved equal to the task.

Courtois shined again in the 73rd minute, deflecting a shot from Haaland over the cross-bar, only to concede a third goal three minutes later, when Akanji’s flick-on of a De Bruyne free kick deflected off Militao and into the net.

Alvarez capped off the display from City in the first minute of stoppage time.

EFE msg/dr

Related Articles

Back to top button