Man City take narrow lead over Dortmund in Champions League tie

Sports Desk, Apr 6 (efe-epa).- Manchester City needed a goal in the 90th minute Tuesday to beat Borussia Dortmund 2-1 in the first leg of their Champions League quarterfinal tie.

Pep Guardiola left both Sergio Agüero and Gabriel Jesus at the start of the contest at the Etihad, while Dortmund were without the injured Jadon Sancho.

The vastly more talented hosts were a little disorganized in the early going, ceding the first chance of the night to Dortmund’s Jude Bellingham, who forced a stop from Ederson in the 7th minute.

For the next few minutes, the visitors enjoyed some success getting passes forward to Erling Haaland, the Norwegian scoring sensation coveted by City, Real Madrid and Barcelona, among other heavyweights of European football.

But Dortmund’s Emre Can gave away the ball in midfield in the 19th minute and Kevin de Bruyne launched a counter.

The Belgian combined with Phil Foden to send the toward Riyad Mahrez at the far post. Unable to get off a shot, the Algerian cut back for De Bruyne and he put City up 1-0.

Ederson was tested again in the 24th minute, this time by Marco Reus.

As the match reached the half-hour mark, the referee award City a penalty after Rodri and Can came together in pursuit of the ball.

Then VAR intervened, overturning the penalty and instead giving Dortmund a free kick.

In the 37th minute, 17-year-old England international Bellingham robbed the ball from Ederson and put it in the net. The referee, however, blew the whistle before the ball crossed the line for what he mistakenly thought was a foul on the Manchester City goalkeeper.

Because the referee had already signaled a free kick for City, VAR could not review the play.

Haaland created an opportunity three minutes into the second half, beating defender Ruben Dias only to fire the ball straight at Ederson.

At the other end, Dortmund keeper Marwin Hitz did well to deny Foden in the 65th minute.

De Bruyne sent his shot just wide in the 76th minute, seconds before Hitz made another good stop against Foden. With six minutes left in regulation, Dortmund captain Marco Reus found the bottom right-hand corner of the City net to make it 1-1.

Foden finally got his goal in the 90th minute, assisted by Ilkay Gündogan. EFE


Related Articles

Back to top button