Manhunt after 8 killed in South Africa birthday party shooting
Johannesburg, Jan 30 (EFE).- A manhunt has been launched after eight people were killed in a shooting at a private birthday party in the South African port city of Gqeberha, police confirmed Monday.
Eastern Cape provincial police said in a statement Monday that between 5.15 pm and 5.30 pm on Sunday evening, the owner of a house in the suburb of Kwazakele, in the city formerly known as Port Elizabeth, was celebrating his birthday when two unknown gunmen entered the yard and “started shooting at guests.”
“A total of seven people (three females and four males) were fatally injured while another four people (two females and two males) sustained gunshot wounds and were taken to hospital for medical treatment,” the statement said.
“One of the victims succumbed to the injuries in hospital, bringing the total number of deceased to eight. The owner of the house was among the deceased.”
An investigation in underway to find those responsible for the attack, although no arrests have been made yet.
“These victims were killed by criminals and we will not rest until we find out what happened and who was responsible for these callous and cold blooded attack on these unsuspecting victims,” said the Eastern Cape Police Commissioner, Lieutenant General Nomthetheleli Mene.
Police recorded more than 7,000 murders and over 10,000 rapes in the three months from July 1 to Sep. 30 last year, according to the latest crime statistics released by Police Minister Bheki Cele in November. EFE