Cairo, Mar 30 (efe-epa).- Marine traffic in the Suez Canal resumed on Tuesday, a day after a massive container ship that was blocking the vital waterway for almost a week was freed after it had run aground in poor weather.
GAC, a global shipping and logistics company, said that ships transited in northbound and southbound convoys from early morning.
Thirty-seven vessels that had been waiting at the Great Bitter Lake, a wider section of the canal, have exited the major shipping route, with another six to follow suit later, according to GAC.
“Further convoys will be arranged subject to changes from time to time by the Suez Canal Authority (SCA) as per their navigation considerations to speed up transiting for all waiting ships,” GAC said in a statement.
“Details are not announced by the SCA in advance, but convoys in both directions are running around the clock until the backlog of vessels is cleared,” it added.
Meanwhile, maritime services company Leth Agencies said 76 vessels are expected to transit through the canal later on Tuesday.
On Monday, SCA head Osama Rabie said that shipping traffic had resumed in both directions starting from 6 pm local time. Some 113 vessels were scheduled to pass through the canal by 8 am on Tuesday.
The Panama-flagged ship, Ever Given, ran aground when the crew lost visibility amid strong winds and a sandstorm on March 23.
The mishap forced a total of 422 vessels to wait for passage, according to Rabie.
The 193-km (120 miles) waterway connects the Mediterranean and Red seas, providing the shortest shipping route between Asia and Europe. In 2020, about 12 percent of global trade passed through the canal, according to SCA.