Washington, Dec 1 (EFE).- The 15-year-old suspect in a Michigan school shooting that left four people dead and seven injured was on Wednesday charged with a range of crimes, including terrorism and murder.
Student Ethan Crumbley will be tried as an adult in connection with Tuesday’s shooting at Oxford High School, 30 miles (50 kilometers) north of Detroit.
“This was not just an impulsive act,” Oakland County Prosecutor Karen McDonald said at a press conference when announcing the charges: one count of terrorism causing death, four counts of first-degree murder, seven counts of assault with intent to murder and 12 counts of possession of a firearm in the commission of a felony.
Because he’s being charged as an adult, Crumbley faces life in prison.
McDonald cited a “mountain of digital evidence” and said the shooting was premeditated “well before the incident,” according to US media.
According to another prosecutor in court citing surveillance footage, at about 12.50 pm on Tuesday, the suspect went into a bathroom with his backpack, and came out with a gun and fired at students while walking down the hallway.
Investigators believe the suspect used a Sig Sauer 9mm bought by his father only four days earlier on Black Friday, Sheriff Michael Bouchard said Tuesday.
The shooter was not injured and surrendered without problems, authorities said.
The victims have been identified as Tate Myre, 16, Hana St. Juliana, 14, Madisyn Baldwin, 17, and Justin Shilling, 17.
Seven other people, including one teacher, were injured, with four still in hospital.
Bouchard said Wednesday that police learned after the shooting that the suspect’s parents were “brought in the morning of the shooting and had a face-to-face meeting with the school” over “concerning” behavior in the classroom.
He also said there was no indication that the boy had been disciplined or bullied at school.
She sheriff also said that 30 shell casings have been recovered, meaning the shooter had fired at least that number of shots. EFE