Kabul, Oct 27 (EFE).- A car bomb attack by militants on a security forces base in Khost province in southeastern Afghanistan left at least two people dead, besides the three attackers, and dozens injured, official sources reported Tuesday.
“The attack began at 5:55 am with a car bombing against the boundary wall of the Special Police Unit base, and then some armed attackers tried to enter the base and engaged in clashes with security forces,” Khost governor’s office spokesperson Talib Mangal told EFE.
He added that at least three attackers have been killed so far, while “clearing operation” continues.
Interior Ministry spokesperson Tariq Arian said in a statement that two members of the security forces have been killed in the attack and 23 others, including 14 members of the police, have been injured.
However, according to Arian, the attackers “failed to enter the base of the security forces.”
No insurgent group has claimed responsibility for the attack so far.
Violence has been on the rise in recent weeks in Afghanistan despite the start of peace talks between representatives of the Afghan government and the Taliban in the Qatari capital of Doha in early September.
The two sides in the intra-Afghan talks have so far failed to reach an agreement on the rules and regulations necessary for the main phase of the negotiations that could bring an end to nearly two decades of conflict in the country.
The talks are a result of a peace deal signed between the United States and the insurgents in the Qatari capital of Doha on Feb.29 that laid the ground work for the phased withdrawal of American troops from Afghanistan in return for guarantees that the Asian country would not be used for activities against Washington.
However, in recent weeks, the Taliban have carried out several attacks across the country resulting in dozens of deaths of security forces members and civilians, including women and children. EFE