Astana, Oct 4 (EFE).- More than 200,000 Russian citizens entered Kazakhstan after a partial military mobilization was declared on Sept. 21, Kazakh authorities said Tuesday.
“More than 200,000 Russians have entered Kazakhstan since September 21 and 147,000 have already left the country,” Kazakh Interior Minister Marat Akhmetzhanov said.
According to unofficial data, this figure is even higher. Local experts estimate that in two weeks more than 250,000 Russians have entered the Central Asian republic.
Akhmetdzhanov said that more than 7,000 citizens from neighboring Russia had crossed the border Monday and 11,000 had left Kazakhstan.
“People arriving are leaving. They are all under migration control,” the minister assured.
According to Minister of Digital Development, Innovation and Aerospace Industry Bagdat Musin, some 70,000 Russian citizens have received an individual identification number in Kazakhstan since September 21, which is assigned to non-residents so that they can receive bank cards and medical assistance.
This is the second exodus of Russians to Kazakhstan this year. The first wave of migrants was at the end of February following the outbreak of the war in Ukraine.
Along with Kazakhstan, which has so far received the largest number of Russians fleeing instability, tens of thousands have entered Georgia, Armenia, Turkey and Finland. EFE