Marrakech, Morocco, Sept. 10 (EFE) – Rescue operations continue in several southern villages as the death toll continues to rise. International teams have arrived to help in the rescue efforts.
According to the latest provisional tally by the Moroccan Interior Ministry, the earthquake has left a total of 2,122 dead and 2,421 injured, 1,351 of them seriously.
The province with the most deaths is Al Haouz, with at least 1,351, and the second is Tarudant, where the earthquake has already left 492 dead.
MOROCCO ANALYZES MORE INTERNATIONAL AID In a statement, the Ministry of Interior indicated that the country’s authorities could turn to more international aid as the rescue work progresses. So far, it has accepted help from four countries: Spain, Qatar, the United Kingdom and the United Arab Emirates.
It also said the Moroccan authorities had made an “accurate assessment” of the needs on the ground, and pointed out that a “lack of coordination” in the management of aid could have counterproductive results.
“With the progress of the rescue effort, the assessment of possible needs is evolving, which could lead to resorting to offers of assistance proposed by other friendly countries according to the needs of each stage,” the ministry said.
As rescue efforts continue, reports have emerged that 17 mountain villages in the Imgdal region, about 77 kilometers south of Marrakech and about 50 kilometers from the epicenter of the earthquake, remain isolated and without basic aid.
These villages include Anamir, Tiguirst, Taghzut, and Taurirt, which neighbors say are completely isolated. In Taurirt, a woman gave birth in the open air without the possibility of being transferred to a hospital, Omar Ait Said, from Taurirt, told EFE.
The 6.8 magnitude earthquake struck the Maghreb country on Friday. It had its epicenter in the town of Ighil, 63 kilometers southwest of Marrakech, Morocco’s tourist capital. EFE fzb-mt/ics (foto) (video)