Seoul, Jan 17 (EFE).- The South Korean Joint Chiefs of Staff reported Monday that it has detected the launch of an unidentified projectile from North Korea toward the Sea of Japan, Pyongyang’s fourth test so far this month.
The brief South Korean army statement did not provide more information about the projectile, while the Japan Coast Guard said it could be a ballistic missile and fell into the water at about 9:03 (1:03 GMT Monday.)
South Korea and Japan’s militaries are analyzing the launch to clarify more details.
It is the fourth launch of this type that Pyongyang has carried out this month, after it fired what it claims are hypersonic missiles on Jan 5 and Tuesday, and launched two guided missiles from a train Friday after threatening to respond to new United States sanctions against North Koreans.
The US last week approved sanctions against North Korean citizens whom it accuses of providing materials and technology for the regime’s weapons program from abroad, to which North Korea responded with a third launch and a fourth carried out Monday.
The US ambassador to the United Nations, Linda Thomas-Greenfield, also said last week that Washington is pressing for the Security Council to impose additional sanctions on the country as punishment for all the launches it has carried out since September.
Washington estimates North Korea used ballistic missiles in these tests, which violates previous sanctioning resolutions approved since 2006 as punishment for the North Korean weapons program.
In a message broadcast on the New Year, North Korean leader Kim Jong-un avoided sending a message to the US and said the regime’s priority is the national economy and the strengthening of national defense.
Kim last year rejected US offers to try to resume denuclearization dialogue, stalled since 2019. EFE