Moscow, Oct 4 (EFE).- More than 200,000 Russians have been conscripted to fight the war in Ukraine as part of the partial mobilization decreed by president Vladimir Putin on September 21, Russian defense minister Sergei Shoigu said Tuesday.
“In accordance with the decree of the President of the Russian Federation, a partial mobilization has been carried out in the country since September 21. As of today more than 200,000 people have joined the armed forces,” Shoigu said at a meeting with military commanders.
As previously announced by the defense minister, the “partial” mobilization will affect a total of 300,000 reservists.
“The preparation of the personnel of the units that have been formed is being carried out at 80 ranges and six training centers,” Shoigu said, adding that orders to deliver the necessary equipment to those who have been called up have been issued.
He asked the commanders to ensure that the deployees’ training is carried out by “combat-experienced officers” to make sure they are ready to be deployed at the frontline.
Shoigu also claimed that a large number of volunteers were coming to the enlistment offices.
“It is extremely important to carefully study each application. No one should be turned away without compelling reasons,” he stressed.
On Thursday, Putin ordered all men who were called up by mistake to be sent home in the face of growing protests and allegations of arbitrary recruitment by the heads of enlistment offices.
One of the most flagrant cases occurred in the Khabarovsk region, in Russia’s Far East, where on Monday the governor, Mikhail Degtiariov, dismissed the regional military commissar for irregularly mobilizing thousands of citizens.
“In 10 days several thousand of our countrymen received notifications and showed up at the enlistment offices. About half of them have been returned to their homes for not corresponding to the selection criteria for serving in the Army on contract,” Degtiarov said on his Telegram channel. EFE