Islamabad, Nov 28 (EFE).- The outlawed Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) on Monday announced a resumption of attacks in the country, thus putting an end to the ceasefire reached with the government earlier this year.
The announcement is also an indication of a failure in the negotiations between the Taliban and the government.
“The Ministry of Defense of Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan issues this order to all the group leaders (…) that you attack (government forces) wherever you have access across the country,” read a statement quoting Mufti Mazahim as TTP’s so called defense minister.
The statement said the decision was taken keeping in mind the continuing military operations against the Taliban in different areas of the country. It added that a series of proactive attacks have already begun.
The banned group stressed they had repeatedly warned the authorities and exercised restraint so as not to hamper the negotiations with the government, but the army and intelligence agencies continued to violate the ceasefire.
“Now our retaliatory attacks will also start across the country – inshaallah (god willing),” it said.
The announcement comes just a day before Lt. Gen. Asim Munir, a former spy chief, takes office as head of Pakistan’s powerful military.
The TTP has been fighting the Pakistani forces to topple the central government in Islamabad to impose their own brand of Shariah for over a decade now.
The group has carried out numerous terror activities, killing thousands of citizens and security forces in the country since its emergence in 2007.
Pakistan has seen more than 80,000 people and over 6,000 security personnel killed in terrorism related incidents since 2000.
After the Afghan Taliban seized power in neighboring Afghanistan, Pakistan has seen increase in the extremist activities by the TTP.
Soon after, negotiations between the TTP and Pakistani government started with the Afghan Taliban playing the role of mediator. EFE