Jerusalem, May 29 (EFE).- A Palestinian man was shot dead and seven others were injured on Monday in clashes that broke out during an Israeli military raid in the hotspot town of Jenin in the occupied West Bank, Palestinian officials said.
The deceased, identified as Ashraf Mohamed Ibrahim, died of exploding bullet wounds to the abdomen and chest, according to the Palestinian health ministry.
The 37-year-old used to serve in the Palestinian security forces and was a former prisoner, the official Palestinian news agency Wafa said.
A spokesman for the Palestinian Red Crescent reported that four of the wounded were hit by gunfire.
The Israeli army, meanwhile, confirmed operations were carried out at different points in the West Bank to arrest “six wanted people.”
The suspects threw explosives and opened fire on Israeli troops, who shot back at militants, a military spokesperson said. During the gunfight, several military vehicles were damaged.
A total of six Palestinians were arrested by Israeli troops in the West Bank, while weapons and equipment were also confiscated.
These raids come after Israeli army forces opened fire on a Palestinian, who according to a military spokesman, was attempting to place an explosive device on a road in the West Bank on Sunday.
Constant Israeli incursions into the West Bank, assaults by Jewish settlers and attacks by Palestinians against Israelis have caused the deaths of 121 Palestinians so far this year, mostly militiamen in violent clashes with Israeli troops, but also civilians, including 20 minors.
On the Israeli side, 19 people have been killed, mostly settlers, including three minors.
In addition, some 34 Palestinians and two Israelis have been killed amid an escalation between Israel and militias in the Gaza Strip.EFE